It’s B Corp Month
At Nature, we’ve been certified as a B Corp for just under a year. If you haven’t heard the words ‘B Corp Certification’ let us shed some light on what it means and why it matters.
To receive B Corp certification, companies must complete and pass the rigorous B Impact Assessment, which measures a company’s performance on environment, community, customers, suppliers, employees, and shareholders.
The purpose of B Corp Certification is to create a future in which businesses are held accountable to the highest standards and, in turn, use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy. You can find out more about certification on the B Corp website.
Every year during March, the global B Corp community join together to celebrate everything it means to be a B Corp. This year's B Corp Month theme is ‘We Go Beyond’, so we thought it’d be worth looking at Nature's journey so far and what going beyond means to us.
Going beyond today, for tomorrow.
As an insight’s consultancy, Nature is in the business of helping our clients to solve complex strategic questions to inform their tomorrow.
Since becoming B Corp Certified in August 2022 (the first and only insights agency in Australia to do so), we have been reflecting on the assessment framework to continue to improve our performance of people and planet strategies.
Across the key areas of people, community, and planet we have worked hard to sustain our momentum.
For our people
- We have delivered some much-deserved time off with three ‘Feel-good Fridays’ allowing our team to find space to re-charge their batteries.
- As a team, we took a trip to Tasmania to launch our new consulting model, demonstrating our commitment to employee growth.
- We’ve empowered our staff to maximise the benefits of our flexibility policy, which allows staff to work overseas for a period to maximise time with family.
- We conducted the CultureAmp employee engagement survey and achieved amazing results that exceeded industry benchmarks.
- We nominated and supported a staff member in their entry into the Young Researcher of the Year award.
For our community
- We’ve demonstrated a commitment to community through donations, fundraising, Pro Bono work and community service.
- We’ve mapped out volunteering opportunities, including time spent with Ronald McDonald House and plans for opportunities with St Kilda Mums.
- We’ve identified charities to align across all Nature locations, with a specific focus on environment-based charities to cross pillar our commitments (Keep Australia Beautiful / Keep NZ Beautiful)
- We’ve raised awareness and money for a variety of charities including Movember and Safe Steps though Run Melbourne.
For our planet
- We’ve worked with our landlord and our cleaning company to explore the possibility of integrating food waste disposal into the existing garbage disposal program at our Melbourne location
- We carried out a Clean Up the Community event in Sydney.
- We’ve carbon offset all flights booked for employees.
- We delivered a self-funded study on sustainability to clients to help them work towards having a more positive impact on the environment.
We are only just getting started…
We are so proud of how far we have already come, but we recognise there is always more work to be done, and always more room to keep pushing. We are determined to ensure our impact on tomorrow is positive for our people, our community, and our environment and whilst we may be fresh to the B Corp scene, we are only just getting started.
But what does that mean for you?
We believe that our ongoing commitment to doing business for-good provides a better tomorrow for our people and our clients.
If you’re interested in assessing your company’s impact but are unsure where to start:
- Review what people, community and planet strategies you currently have in place and build them up. What’s missing? What could you improve? If it’s all a bit overwhelming, take it one step at a time.
- We love to chat about our B Corp journey – If you’d like to discuss the process in more detail, get in touch.
- If you are interested in becoming a B Corp, you can read more about the process here.